- 400g Sweet potato
- 1 tin black beans
- 300g oats
- 100g sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp tamari/soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp tomato puree
- 3 flax eggs (3 Tbsp ground flax + ¼ cup water)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin powder
- 3 Tbsp fresh chopped coriander or parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
To serve: Buns of choice, Red Hot Firekraut, Vegan cheese slices, Vegan bacon, lettuce, tomato, red onion.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Cut the sweet potato into cubes and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Make the flax egg. Combine the ground flax and water in a small bowl and set aside to thicken for 10 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the beans.
- Pulse the oats and sunflower seeds in a food processor into a crumbly flour.
- Add in all other ingredients to the food processor and pulse until combined (don’t overmix, you want the burgers to have some texture).
- If the mixture is too sticky, add more oat flour (or flour of choice), if it is too dry add a little water - ½ tsp at a time.
- Split the mixture into 5 even balls and shape them into burger patties with your hands.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry each burger for a few minutes on each side to crispen the outside.
- Place the burgers on a parchment lined baking tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. To make cheese burgers, add a slice of Vegan cheese to the top of the burgers before you bake them and keep an eye to check the cheese doesn’t burn.
- Create your Vegan Big Mac: Use burger buns of your choice and layer with your burger, Vegan cheese slice, Vegan Bacon, lettuce, tomato, red onion and a good helping of Red Hot Firekraut.