Ultimate Vegan Grilled 'Cheese' Sandwich/Toastie
This grilled 'cheese' sandwich may seem time consuming but the extra time and effort is worth it if you want the ultimate in vegan grilled ‘cheese toastie’. I've chosen my Red Hot Firekraut (spicy, live fermented sauerkraut) to give it that extra kick.
Sliced bread of your choice, we used sliced seeded wholemeal bread
Sliced vegan cheese of your choice, we used Violife original flavour block
One batch No cheese 'cheesy' sauce (see below)
Veggies of choice: Spinach leaves/sliced tomato/mashed avocado, we used spinach
Superkraut of choice, we used Red Hot Firekraut
Dairy free spread (optional)
- Heat a frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Lightly spread dairy free spread onto one side of one slice of bread.
- If not using spread, you can lightly spray your pan with oil. Or alternatively just use a dry pan, however your sandwich will not be as crispy.
- Lay your slice of bread, spread side down, on to the hot frying pan.
- Add a layer of sliced vegan cheese.
- Drizzle with the No cheese 'cheesy' sauce.
- Add your veggie layer here.
- Add Superkraut of choice, we chose Red Hot Firekraut for a nice spicy kick.
- Add more cheese slices.
- Drizzle with more 'cheesy' sauce.
- Place the other slice of bread on top and press down to mold all the ingredients together.
- Let the sandwich fry for 3-4 minutes until nice and warm on the inside and golden and crispy on the outside.
- Lightly spread dairy free spread onto the top slice of bread.
- Now for the fun part - grab a spatula and carefully flip your sandwich over.
- Let it sizzle and cook for a few more minutes until the underside is golden and crispy.
- This part is optional but so worth it - take your sandwich off the heat and place on a baking tray.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 5 minutes to help the vegan cheese slices get nice and melty.
- Take your sandwich out. Slice in half and watch all that gooey 'cheesiness'
Makes enough for 4 grilled 'cheese' sandwiches
or use leftover sauce poured over roasted veggies or pasta
1/2 cup dairy free milk, we used almond milk
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 Tbsp tapioca flour
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Whisk all ingredients together in a pan.
- Place pan on medium heat and bring to a boil - whisking continuously.
- Let simmer on a low heat for a few minutes until sauce is stretchy.