Fiery Vegan Scrambled Tofu
This simple vegan breakfast dish can be served with any of my sauerkrauts, but for a fiery kick we topped it with Red Hot Firekraut.
- 1 block extra firm tofu (280g), drained and patted dry
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely diced (optional for some extra spice!)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp pink Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ lime, juiced
- 3 heaped Tbsp coriander, parsley or chives (or a mixture)
- 2-4 large forkfuls of Red Hot Firekraut (plus extra for serving)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado – roughly mashed with salt, pepper and lime
- Drain tofu and pat dry with a dish towel. Using a fork mash the tofu block to break it up into the texture of scrambled egg.
- Add the broken up tofu into a bowl with the spices, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Let the tofu marinade in the spices while you prepare and fry the veggies.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet, once heated add onion, chilli and garlic.
- Sauté over medium-high heat for 5 - 8 minutes, until onion starts to soften.
- Add in the tofu spice mixture and mix well.
- Cook around 5 minutes, until tofu starts to cook off some of its moisture.
- Add mushrooms and peppers and continue to cook an additional 10 - 15 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms cook down.
- While the scrambled tofu cooks, place the halved cherry tomatoes in the oven (cut side up) with a drizzle of oil and a sprinkling of smoked paprika and salt. Bake for 10-15 minutes until softened.
- Add in spinach to the tofu mix and let it wilt down.
- Mix through herbs, lime juice and Red Hot Firekraut.
- Serve up with mashed avocado, roasted tomatoes and a good helping of Red Hot Firekraut for an extra spicy Scrambled Tofu.