This is healthy comfort eating at its best. I love this with my Turmeric and Ginger Superkraut or my Red Hot Firekraut. My live, fermented sauerkrauts make a great, healthy addition to this dish.
- 1 x medium Butternut Squash
- 2 x medium Sweet Potato
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt + Pepper
- Herbs/spices of choice
- Walnut Basil Pesto (see recipe below)
- Cashew Queso Mexican Cheese Sauce (see recipe below)
- Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Turmeric & Ginger Superkraut
- Slice your Squash and Sweet Potato into wedges and place in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and mix with your hands to coat.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and seasonings of your choice. Mix with a spoon to coat.
- Place the wedges on to baking trays - do not overlap. Leave space between each wedge - this ensures that they will become nice and crispy.
- Bake in a 200C oven for 30-40 minutes, flipping the wedges half way, until cooked through - golden on the surface and crispy on the edges.
- Serve on a large serving platter with your sauces and garnishes of choice. We've chosen walnut basil pesto, cashew queso Mexican cheese sauce, roasted cherry tomatoes, toasted pumpkin seeds and Turmeric & Ginger Superkraut for added zing! Enjoy!
Cashew Queso Cheese Sauce:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in hot water for 20 mins and drained
- 1/2 - 1 cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili flakes or 1 tsp chili paste/siracha
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients into a high speed blender - starting with 1/2 cup of the water.
- Blend and add 1 Tbsp of water incrementally as needed to help the mixture reach a smooth and creamy consistency.
Walnut basil pesto:
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 packed cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp water - or more depending on the consistency you like
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add walnuts and nutritional yeast to a food processor and blend until crumbly, not to fine, you want to retain some texture.
- Add in fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Process again until combined.
- Add in water 1 tsp at a time until the mixture comes together and becomes creamy - you don't want it to become watery. If it does become watery, add in more walnuts to help thicken.
- Taste for seasoning add in more lemon for freshness and more basil for flavour.