Sweet Potato & Bean Chilli
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 x large sweet potato, chopped into small cubes
- 1 x large carrot, diced
- 2 x bell peppers, chopped
- 1 x red onion, diced
- 7 x tomatoes on the vine, chopped, divided
- 3 x cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup tomato passatta
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup (packed) of spinach
- 1 cup water (more or less as needed)
- In a large heavy-bottom pot, add coconut oil. Once oil is hot, add red onion, sweet potato and carrot fry for 8-10 minutes to slightly soften the sweet potato.
- Add garlic, bell peppers and half of the chopped tomatoes. Fry for 3 to 5 minutes until softened.
- Add dry spices, salt, pepper and tomato paste and stir well to incorporate, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach on top, place lid back on and let wilt for a few minutes before stirring in.
- Add the remaining beans and tomatoes, and another 1/2 of water if chilli seems too dry. Cover and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with brown rice, quinoa or your favourite choice of grain.
- Garnish with avocado, coriander, cashew sour cream, lime and tortilla chips.
- Top with Red Hot Firekraut for an extra chili kick!