Mushroom Walnut Bolognese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup/100g walnuts, finely chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 cups tomato passata/1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup mixed chopped vegetables (I used sweet corn, orange pepper and sugar snap peas)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 2 Tbsp fresh herbs (I used basil and coriander)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp (plus extra for serving) Red Hot Firekraut
- Heat up the olive oil in a pot on medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and fry for 2-3 minutes until the onions become soft. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 6-8 minutes. The mushrooms will release water. Keep cooking until the liquid has evaporated and the mix is quite dry.
- Add all the herbs and spices, the apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar and tomato paste. Mix well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, the passata or tinned tomatoes and chopped vegetables. Mix again.
- Cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped walnuts and cook for an extra 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1-2 Tbsp Red Hot Firekraut. Serve with spiralised courgette or your choice of pasta. Top with extra Superkraut, nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan and enjoy!