Vegan Mac & Cheese (with hidden veggies)
This recipe is for the whole family to enjoy! The creamy sauce is so delicious.
The nutritional yeast flakes add the 'cheesy' flavour and the tapioca flour adds a stretchy melted cheese texture.
This recipe has been child approved!
Just don't tell them it's packed full of nutritious veggies!
- 1 cup of cubed potatoes
- 1 cup of cubed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 x red onion, sliced
- 3 x cloves garlic. finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk, we used almond milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- salt + pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp tapioca flour
- Pasta of your choice, we used gluten free pasta shells
- Red Hot Firekraut to serve
- Steam or boil the potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots until tender.
- Saute the red onion and garlic
- Add all ingredients (except the tapioca flour, pasta and Superkraut) to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a sauce pan and heat over medium heat.
- Mix the tapioca flour in a cup with one tablespoon of cold water.
- Pour the tapioca flour mix into the pan and whisk continually.
- Bring the sauce to the boil, keep whisking to avoid lumps forming.
- Let the mix simmer for 5 minutes or until the mix starts to thicken and become stretchy.
- Taste test - add more nutritional yeast flakes if you want it to taste 'cheesier' and a little more tapioca mixed in cold water if you want the sauce thicker.
- Take the pan off of the heat and let it cool. The mixture will become more stretchy and form a texture like melted cheese.
- Cook your chosen pasta.
- Pour over your 'cheesy' sauce.
- Top with Red Hot Firekraut and try not to lick your bowl clean!