This recipe is for the whole family to enjoy! The creamy sauce is so delicious.
The nutritional yeast flakes add the 'cheesy' flavour and the tapioca flour adds a stretchy melted cheese texture.
This recipe has been child approved!
Just don't tell them it's packed full of nutritious veggies!
- 1 cup of cubed potatoes
- 1 cup of cubed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 x red onion, sliced
- 3 x cloves garlic. finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk, we used almond milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- salt + pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp tapioca flour
- Pasta of your choice, we used gluten free pasta shells
- Red Hot Firekraut to serve
- Steam or boil the potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots until tender.
- Saute the red onion and garlic
- Add all ingredients (except the tapioca flour, pasta and Superkraut) to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a sauce pan and heat over medium heat.
- Mix the tapioca flour in a cup with one tablespoon of cold water.
- Pour the tapioca flour mix into the pan and whisk continually.
- Bring the sauce to the boil, keep whisking to avoid lumps forming.
- Let the mix simmer for 5 minutes or until the mix starts to thicken and become stretchy.
- Taste test - add more nutritional yeast flakes if you want it to taste 'cheesier' and a little more tapioca mixed in cold water if you want the sauce thicker.
- Take the pan off of the heat and let it cool. The mixture will become more stretchy and form a texture like melted cheese.
- Cook your chosen pasta.
- Pour over your 'cheesy' sauce.
- Top with Red Hot Firekraut and try not to lick your bowl clean!