Lentil Shepherds Pie with Sweet Potato Mash
This comforting plant-based pie pairs well with all my fermented sauerkrauts. We have chosen my Turmeric & Ginger Superkraut to eat with it today.
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Serves: 4-6
- 1 1/3 cup red lentils
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1 ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 small leek, sliced finely
- 1 tsp dried or fresh oregano
- 1 tsp dried or fresh thyme
- 1 tsp dried or fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp dried or fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 Tbsp tomato puree
- ½ cup passata or chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- Pepper to your taste
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut in chunks
- ¼ cup plant based milk
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Green leafy veg
- Fresh herbs
- Turmeric and Ginger Superkraut
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil and add lentils. Cover and cook the lentils for 10 minutes or until tender over medium heat. Drain and set aside.
- In another saucepan boil or steam the chopped sweet potato. Cook until tender. Drain, mash and set aside. While the sweet potato cook, prepare the lentil veggie mixture.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 C.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the oil and add the onion and leek. Cook for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms, peas, carrots and celery and cook for another few minutes.
- Add all the herbs and spices, tomato puree, tomato passata and balsamic vinegar. Cook until the liquid has released and reduced by two thirds.
- Add in the cooked lentils. Cook for another 5 minutes to combine all of the flavours. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the lentil veggie mixture into your casserole dish.
- To the mashed sweet potato add plant based milk, 1 tbsp at a time to form a really thick and fluffy mixture (you might not need the full ¼ cup – you might need more). Add in the nutritional yeast and mix well. You want a really smooth mixture, no lumps.
- Place the mashed potatoes on top of the lentil veggie mixture in the casserole dish. Sprinkle some ground black pepper on top. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- It pairs well with any my fermented sauerkrauts, but today we have chosen to serve with green leafy vegetables, fresh herbs and Turmeric and Ginger Superkraut. Enjoy!