Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Serves: 4 bowls
Ingredients - Brussel Sprout Quinoa Bowls
- 500g brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 3 cups butternut squash or sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained • 2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp oil (we used coconut oil)
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Extras: Red Hot Firekraut, spinach, avocado, toasted pine nuts, chopped pecans, fresh coriander
Ingredients - Spicy Tomato Smokey Marinade
- ½ cup tomato passata
- 1 tsp chipotle chilli flakes (or 1 tsp ordinary chilli flakes + ¼ tsp smoked paprika)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ lemon, juiced
Ingredients - Maple Dijon Dressing
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (more or less depending on how strong a mustard flavour you like)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Season with salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- Blend all spicy smoky tomato marinade ingredients together or mix well in a large bowl.
- Toss brussels sprouts in marinade. Spread evenly on one baking sheet.
- Mix smoked paprika, cumin garlic powder, onion powder and 2 tsp melted coconut oil in a small bowl. Spread butternut squash on a separate baking sheet, pour over the coconut oil mixture and mix to combine. Place both baking sheets in the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- In the meantime, prepare quinoa by combining quinoa and vegetable broth or water in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until all broth is absorbed. Mix in chopped kale (kale will wilt once it is mixed with hot quinoa) and lemon juice.
- Prepare maple dijon dressing by combining ingredients in a small bowl and whisking until well-combined.
- Prepare bowls by arrange quinoa/kale mix and roasted vegetables in your bowls with spinach, chopped avocado, toasted pine nuts, chopped pecans drizzle with maple dijon dressing and top with Red Hot Firekraut for a delicious fiery kick!
- Great served hot or cold!