4 large potatoes
Spicy mango tomato salsa
Turmeric and Ginger Superkraut
- Scrub the potatoes well and parboil them for about 15 minutes (from the moment the water comes to the boil again). Once parboiled, drain them and allow them to cool down completely.
- Heat up the oven to 180° C, prepare a baking tray.
- Cut the cooled-down potatoes into halves lengthwise (cut them so that the resulting halves are stable when placed on the baking tray). Using a spoon gently scoop most of the flesh out, leaving about ½ cm of flesh on the inside of the potato halves. Place on a baking tray.
- DON'T DISPOSE OF THE SCOOPED OUT FLESH! These are going to be made into fat fries for dipping.
- Brush the exposed potato flesh of the potato skins and the fat fries with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Potato skins - Bake them for about 20 minutes, then turn the oven up to 250° C and move the tray with potatoes up one notch. Bake for another 10-15 mins, until the rims are nicely browned and the skins are crispy.
- Fat fries - Bake them for about 20 minutes, then place them back in with the potato skins and keep an eye on them. You want them golden brown and crispy. You don't want them to burn!
- Fill each potato skin with your choice of filling: we like chunky guacamole, spicy mango tomato salsa and Turmeric and Ginger Superkraut. Take your fat fries and get dipping!
2 large avocados – pitted and flesh scooped out
1 lime, juiced
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1⁄2 cup diced onion
3 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
2 plum tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Place one avocado in a medium bowl and mash it well. Add the second avocado and mash it roughly, leaving chunky bits.
- Add remaining ingredients into the bowl and mix in gently, you want to keep it chunky.
Spicy Mango Tomato Salsa
1 large mango, peeled and diced
1 cups ripe tomatoes, chopped
½ red onion, diced
½ red bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeño pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
juice of one lime
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, optional
1/4 cup coriander, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together mango, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, lime juice, coriander, salt and pepper. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to evolve together.