Rainbow Cauliflower Pizza
A healthy cauliflower based pizza, topped with homemade tomato sauce (recipe below), rainbow vegetables, vegan cheese and our range of live, unpasteurised sauerkrauts 'Superkraut'.
680g cauliflower florets
3 flax eggs (3 tablespoons ground flax seeds mixed with 6 Tbsp water)
1 Tbsp psyllium husk (optional - but will help yield a firmer crust)
1/4 cup arrowroot flour or cornflour (optional but will help yield a firmer crust)
1 cup almond flour or meal
1 Tbsp mixed dried Italian herbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C.
- Prepare your flax 'eggs'. Mix 3 Tbsp ground flax seeds with 6 Tbsp water and let sit for at least 10 minutes, it will form a gelatinous paste.
- Prepare your pizza tray with baking paper, a pizza tray with holes through it will help to yield a crispier crust (baking paper is important as this crust will stick to your tray otherwise).
- Steam the cauliflower florets for 15 minutes or until just tender.
- Let the cauliflower cool slightly. Place in a food processor and pulse until it resembles rice - do not over process into puree - want to achieve crumbly rice looking pieces.
- Place the cauliflower rice into a clean dish towel and wrap tightly.
- The most important step - Squeeze as much excess liquid out of the cauliflower as you can. The drier you can make it the better. You should get at least 1/2 cup of liquid squeezed out. Discard the liquid.
- Place the cauliflower rice, flax eggs and all remaining crust ingredients into a large bowl and mix together using a wooden spoon or your hands.
- Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes to help the flax egg and psyllium husk to blend into the ingredients and then knead it together with your hands to form a dough ball.
- Place the dough ball on to your prepared tray and flatten out using slightly damp fingers to about 1/4 inch thick, into your preferred shape.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes, checking on it as the edges will brown quite quickly if your oven runs hot.
- Now we need to carefully flip the crust to bake and dry out the underside of the crust: Take the crust out of the oven, place a fresh sheet of baking paper on top of the crust, place another baking tray on top and carefully holding both trays together, flip the crust over onto the new tray. Very carefully and slowly, peel the baking paper away from what was the underside of the crust.
- Place back in the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes, again watch to check that the edges don't burn. If the edges of your pizza start to brown too much, you can place some tinfoil around the edges to prevent them getting any darker.
- Take the cauliflower crust out of the oven and gently transfer it to a wire cooling rack. Use the baking paper and gently pull it off the baking tray and on to the cooling rack. It can be quite fragile so be careful not to break the crust. Transferring the crust to a cooling rack is important. If you leave it to cool on the baking tray it will steam and become soggy.
- Once the crust has cooled slightly, it is time to add the toppings. To keep the crust nice and crisp, it is better to have pre-cooked your toppings. We spread a light layer of pizza sauce across the entire crust, topped with vegan mozzarella slices which we warmed until melty in the oven first and then we layered our pre-cooked RAINBOW veggies. Top with your favourite Superkraut - Enjoy!
200ml tomato passata (or 1/2 tin chopped tomatoes)
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Blend all ingredients in a blender
- Bring to boil and then simmer for 20 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
Homemade pizza sauce
Vegan mozzarella or shredded cheese
SUPERKRAUT of your choice
Red - roasted cherry tomatoes
Orange - roasted, diced orange pepper
Yellow - sweetcorn
Green - Spinach and Broccoli, finely chopped and lightly steamed
Blue - black olives, chopped
Indigo/violet - red onion, diced and fried