For the buckwheat crepes:
- 100g buckwheat flour
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tin (400ml) of full-fat coconut milk
- 60ml water
- 1 Tbsp neutral oil, plus a little extra for frying
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk until combined and smooth
- Heat a frying pan over high heat and wipe the pan lightly with oil or use an oil spray.
- Pour in enough crepe batter to lightly coat the bottom of the pan, tilting the pan to spread the batter out evenly into a large circle. Leave to cook until the edges are dry and beginning to lift away from the pan.
- Flip over and cook for a few seconds on the other side. Remove from the pan and keep warm while you make the smokey chickpeas.
For the smokey chikpeas:
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1-2 tsp chipotle chilli paste, adjust to taste
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley or coriander, chopped
- 1 tin of cooked chickpeas
- Heat 1/2 Tbsp oil in a frying pan. Fry red onion and garlic until the onion is translucent and the garlic soft.
- Add the spices and chilli paste and coat the onion and garlic mixture in them. Fry gently for another minute, stirring frequently so that the spices do not burn.
- Add chopped tomatoes (and all the juice) into the pan. Next add 1/2 cup of the water. Add in salt, pepper and lime. Allow the sauce to simmer on a low heat, stirring it from time to time until the tomatoes are cooked and the sauce has thickened. Top up with a little more water if the pan gets too dry before the tomatoes have had a chance to cook fully.
- Taste and season with more salt (if needed), pepper and lime juice.
- Stir in cooked chickpeas and allow them to warm up. Adjust the consistency of the sauce to your liking by adding a splash more water to loosen it up a bit. If you can, allow the sauce to rest for the flavours to improve.
Serve with: Green leafy vegetables (rocket and spinach), chopped avocado, cashew sour cream and our really moreish spicy sauerkraut Red Hot Firekraut