This can be made ahead for breakfast or lunch. Pair with our Turmeric and Ginger Superkraut, for that added fermented goodness.
Beetroot Oatmeal Bake
- 2 large beets, grated (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp coconut oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 2 cups rolled oats (gluten free, if necessary)
- 1/2 cup pecan nuts (or any nuts/seeds of choice), chopped
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 Tbsp water
- 120ml non-dairy milk (approx. 1/2 cup)
- Serve with: Baked potato, Vegan cream cheese, lemon kale and Turmeric & Ginger Superkraut
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan)
- Grease your baking dish with some olive oil or line with baking paper. We’ve used a 9x9 inch tin.
- Steam (or boil) and the sweet potato. Drain and mash.
- Mix 2 Tbsp of ground flax seed with 6 Tbsp of water. Set aside for 10 mins to thicken.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the diced onion and fry for approx 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and ginger, fry for a few minutes. Take off the heat and leave to cool down.
- Peel and grate beetroot then set aside.
- Mix together oats, pecan nuts, pumpkin seeds, thyme, rosemary, oregano, salt, pepper and turmeric until combined.
- Fold in beetroot, sweet potato and onion. Mix well.
- Whisk flax eggs with non-dairy milk and stir into the mixture (mix will be sticky).
- Spoon the mixture into a greased/lined baking dish and smooth out the surface. Bake for around 40 min, until quite firm to touch. Let cool for 10 minutes or so to firm up a bit more. Enjoy warm or cold with a crispy baked potato, Vegan cream cheese, lemon kale and a good helping of Turmeric & Ginger Superkraut.