These sweet potatoes are baked until tender and filled with smokey beans, mashed avocado, fresh sweet corn, fresh parsley, topped with Firekraut salsa and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 600g tomato pasatta
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke (optional for an added smokey flavour)
- sprinkle of chili flakes (optional for added spicy kick)
- 2 tins of beans of your choice, rinsed and drained (we used cannellini and kidney beans)
- large handful of chopped kale/spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of finely chopped tomatoes on the vine (3/4 large tomatoes)
- 2 large forkfuls of Red Hot Firekraut, chopped
- 2 tsp of juice from the Firekraut jar
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- freshly chopped coriander to taste
- salt to taste
- 3-4 sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 220ºC. Line a baking tray. Pierce holes in the sweet potatoes using a fork, then bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium sauce pan.
- To the sauce pan, add the onion and sauté for 8-10 minutes on low heat, until they soften.
- Add in garlic and spices and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add in tomato passata, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and liquid smoke (if using) and simmer for 15 minutes on low heat.
- The sauce should reduce and thicken slightly during this time.
- Mix in the beans and cook for 5 minutes.
- Finally add in the chopped kale/spinach and let it wilt down for a few minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- For the Firekraut salsa, place all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly to combine. Leave to marinade for 20 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, remove from the oven. Allow to cool and split the tops open with a knife.
- Top with the smokey beans and Firekraut salsa, and tuck in!