Baked Root Vegetable Fries with vegan Tzatziki
Baked Root Veg Fries with vegan Tzatziki
1 large sweet potato
2 large carrots
2 large parsnips
2 large potatoes
1 large beetroot
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp tapioca flour or cornflour
Large pinch of ground black pepper
½ cup cashews (soaked in hot water 20 mins)
½ lemon, juiced
1 garlic clove
½ tsp onion powder
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat your oven to 200 C. Prepare 2 or 3 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Slice the root vegetables into slices or wedges of similar thickness.
- Place the sliced veggies into a large tub with a lid or a large freezer bag.
- Add in the olive oil, minced garlic, tapioca flour and pepper. Put the lid on the tub or hold the bag closed and give it a good shake until all the slices are coated.
- Place the slices onto your prepared baking trays, making sure to leave space between each slice. It’s important there is no overlapping or your veggies will go soggy.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes (depending how thickly or thinly your slices are) turning the slices half way through.
- Whilst your fries are in the oven, make the vegan tzatziki. Firstly, rinse and drain the cashews. Then place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- When your fries are ready, leave to cool for a few minutes. We have served ours with vegan tzatziki, sliced cherry tomatoes, Vegan feta cheese (Violife White Greek Block), a squeeze of lemon juice, fresh mint and a large helping of Superkraut. These fries are delicious with all flavours of Superkraut but we have chosen Supergreens with Spirulina as the accompaniment tonight. Enjoy!