Garlic Lemon Cauliflower steaks with Cashew Cauliflower Sauce, Sweet Potato Mash and our Turmeric and Ginger Superkraut
- 1 Cauliflower
- 1/4 cup tamari/soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cashew Cauliflower sauce:
- 1/2 cup of chopped cauliflower, left over from cutting the steaks
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts, soaked in hot water 20 mins, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Any leftover marinade from above
- 1/4 cup water + extra added 1 Tbsp at a time to help the sauce blend
- Sweet potato mash
- Garden peas
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Cashew cauliflower sauce
- Turmeric and Ginger Superkraut
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Set aside a baking tray, which has been lined with parchment paper.
- Prepare cauliflower. Firstly, trim away any green leaves but make sure the stem stays intact - you need the stem to help the ‘steaks’ hold together. With the cauliflower sitting on it’s stem, use a knife to slice it in half. Cut one thick slice from either side, so that you have two neatly formed steaks. The rest of the cauliflower will fall away from the stem after the 2 steaks are cut. You can cut larger florets into smaller steaks too, if you wish. Save the smaller pieces of cauliflower for the cashew cauliflower sauce.
- Place cauliflower steaks into a wide shallow dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix all marinade ingredients together and pour over the steaks. Use a brush (or your hands) to thoroughly coat all sides and edges of the steaks. Leave to marinade for 30 minutes or longer.
- Take the cauliflower steaks out of the marinade and save the leftover marinade for the cashew cauliflower sauce.
- In a wide frying pan, add 2 teaspoons of olive oil and, once hot, add cauliflower steaks. Let them sear, undisturbed, for 5 minutes on each side (cooking for approximately 10 minutes total). Remove once they’ve developed a golden crust on either side.
- Transfer steaks to the lined baking tray. Brush extra marinade on both sides, coating all the nooks and crannies, sprinkle with salt, pepper and nutritional yeast. Transfer to the oven for 10 minutes or until tender.
- While the cauliflower steaks are in the oven, prepare the cashew cauliflower sauce. Place all ingredients and any leftover marinade into the blender. Blend until a smooth, thick consistency is reached.
- Serve your cauliflower steaks with some sweet potato mash, garden peas, cashew cauliflower sauce, fresh parsley, toasted sesame seeds, a squeeze of lemon and top with our fresh tasting, live, fermented sauerkraut (here we have chosen our Turmeric and Ginger Superkraut).