Beetroot, Sweet Potato & Quinoa Burgers
Makes approximately 8 burgers
- 2 x medium sweet potato, cubed and steamed
- 2 x large beetroot, grated
- 2 x small carrots, grated
- 1 x red onion, finely diced
- 4 x garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp ground flax + 2.5 Tbsp warm water)
- 1/2 cup chopped seeds
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour (more or less to bring mixture together)
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180c.
- Mix ground flax seeds and water together and let sit for 10 minutes to make your flax egg.
- Mash steamed sweet potato in a large bowl. Keeping some lumps and texture, you don't want the mixture too smooth. Set aside.
- Add a little oil to a pan and fry the onion for a few minutes until soft. Add in garlic and fry 1 minute more.
- Add in grated beetroot and carrot, fry a few minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the onion mixture, spices, herbs, salt, pepper, lime juice, flax egg and cooked quinoa to the mashed sweet potatoes. Mix well.
- Add the flour 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture begins to come together. It will still be slightly sticky.
- Prepare two baking trays with baking paper.
- To make the burgers take a handful of the veggie mixture, roll in to a ball and roll in the chopped seeds, flatten with your hand and shape into a burger. Continue with the rest of the mix.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a frying pan. Fry the burgers for a few minutes each side to form a crispy outer layer.
- Place burgers on trays and bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving to help them set and hold together.
- Serve with seeded wholemeal rolls, salad leaves, mashed avocado, garlic cashew aioli and top with Turmeric and Ginger Superkraut. Yum!